Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…
Every now and then, life throws some challenges to you. Most of these challenges come from the devil to create dark pages in your life and to frustrate God’s plans and purposes for your life. God permits them in other to make you better and use you to teach others about the kingdom. Your past may have series of disappointments, failures and misfortunes. But God says to tell you this morning – ‘do not worry because your case is receiving an attention in Heaven right now’.
Yes your past may have been very turbulent and full of dark pages. How you handle the past determines how you can embrace the future. The future is always better than any past you can think of. Many people spend too much time brooding and worrying over the past and this affects their preparedness to face the good things God has prepared for the future. Beloved, your yesterday will not affect the decision of God to bless you today and tomorrow! Therefore, get over the problems of yesterday. Say bye-bye to those dark pages of your past because the good and tantalizing story is about to commence in your life.
· Yes! Some years back before you gave your life to Christ, you got into this great sin but you have since confessed and repented of it but you still think that the sin is responsible for the challenges you are facing today. Beloved God says to tell you today, Get over it!
· You got fired from that job last year and you are still brooding, complaining and missing that job because you are yet to find a new one. God says to tell you today, get over it!
· Some time ago, you invested into this business that made you lose so much money and it is still affecting your financial situations today, beloved, get over it!
· What is it that is causing you to murmur and complain today, God is telling you beloved, you got to get over it!
Your attitude affects how far you go in life and your attitude is a choice. This choice is made daily every time you wake up from bed in the morning. Every day is special and is bound to come with blessings because according to the words of King David in Psalm 118: 24, the Bible says – “This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it”. Also Psalm 68:19 says that he ‘…loads us daily with benefit…’ Decide to have a good attitude about the day each time you wake up in the morning. A positive attitude is a choice that people make irrespective of what they are going through in life. The previous day may have ended in a bitter note for you, but you must get over it and believe that the new day has come with a better opportunity. There are some people you see around, and you believe everything is good for them. Many times, they are not so but their attitudes will never betray what is happening to their lives. Beloved, choose to be happy because God can never fail you no matter what you are experiencing today!
The past is passed! In the text we read today, Apostle Paul while writing to the Philippians said by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that one thing, he does is forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.
Stop looking at where you have been beloved and start looking at where you will be. You must not allow the success or failures of the past impede the greatness of the future. Let it go!
· Have you had great success last year? Forget it…
· Were you the most holy, highly anointed believer in your former church? Forget it…
· Did you win the best staff award in your job last month? Forget it…
· You made the best grade in Math in your class last week…forget it…
Don’t allow past failures stop or hinder what God is trying to do in your life. Beloved, you must get over the failures and mistakes of last year, last month or yesterday and position yourself for the transformation ahead of you. Remember child of God that it is impossible to have success without experiencing failure. Stop brooding over the past failures because you are about to succeed! Pastor John Hagee says the ‘…a man who never fails is a man who never accomplished anything’. Failure brings about accomplishment because it guarantees experience that will lead you to victory and success so you must get over the past failures.
Jesus experienced failure so that He could sit in heaven at the right hand of God the Father.
· He was not born under the best of circumstances and environments.
· He was born into the Jews, a minority group that experienced brutal political oppression at a time.
· The recognized church at His time called Him a heretic, drunkard and demonic.
· One of His closest followers sold Him for thirty pieces of silver.
· He got convicted for a humiliated death without a fair trial.
· He was the Creator of Heaven and Earth but was treated like a criminal.
Jesus experienced all these failures but still got over them and declared in John 16:33 “…be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
Child of God, the past is not the present, but it is passed and therefore get off it! Most heroes of the Bible do not have good and great pasts. God never consults your past to determine your future!
Consider Moses, he was a murderer.
Exodus 2:11-12 Now it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out to his brethren and looked at their burdens. And he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brethren. 12 So he looked this way and that way, and when he saw no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.
Moses murdered an Egyptian and I am certain he must have been listed in Egypt as a public enemy and a wanted person for he was a fugitive who fled Egypt as Pharaoh wanted to kill him. He went to Midian and dwelt in the desert where God eventually met him at the backside of the desert. Moses did not allow his past as a murderer to determine his future. He got over it! God never considered His past and chose him to deliver the nation of Israel. Moses got over his past and walked through magnificent marble hall of Pharaoh’s palace declaring God’s word “Let my people go!” He did not give up but continued the struggle to achieve his divine destiny.
Brethren, you have a destiny and do not let your past successes and failures stop you from attaining your full potentials in fulfillment of your destiny. Get over it beloved!
What about David? He was a giant killer even as a youth. He saved Israel from the harassment of the giant Goliath of the Philistines. He brought the greatest victory in Israel’s history. He rose to the great and enviable height of power and led Israel through many wars and victories. However, remember that despite all these, David committed adultery with Bathsheba and murdered her husband in cold blood. Despite all these, God still say of King David in Acts 13:22 “…a man after My own heart, who will do all My will”.
Child of God, get over those past pages of your life for God has a great plan for you! He loves you so much and has mapped out a great future for you. Don’t allow any shame from the past stop you from moving forward. If God forgave Moses and David and still used them mightily, He will forgive you for He is no respecter of persons. I know you have lost many opportunities in the past, had your marriages ruined, lost business opportunities, get over it and have a focus. You may be facing many things at this moment but believe me, God is greater than any problem you are facing today.
· God is greater than any criticism you are facing right at this moment.
· He is greater than that sickness.
· He is greater than any giant you are facing
· He is greater than any burden you are carrying.
focused and put your acts together. Don’t curse the darkness that represents
the crisis you face today. Get over them and light up the candle and the
darkness will disappear!